logo

scroll
 

banner

Home

About Us

Get Involved

History

Events

Museum

Links

Contact Us

Museum

 
 

 

 
 

History Museum in Rush City to Re-open April 1
                The North Chisago History Museum will open its doors on Saturday, April 1, after a short winter break.  A new display honoring the family of Orpha Carlson will feature several items that have been donated by her family.   The Society appreciates this focus on a local family.  They are also very happy about receiving grant money from the ECE Round Up funds.  This $1,000 is being used to purchase archival materials, to help preserve artifacts. 
                The museum, located in Rush City at 350 South Eliot Ave. is open on Saturdays, from 9 am 4 pm and on Wednesdays Carl Heinrich spearheads discussions of local history,  from 1 4 pm.    Anyone interested is invited visit the museum, free of charge.

 
     
     

This is the building that Dr. and Mrs. Guptill of Rush City donated to the NCHS for use as a museum. Dr. Guptill used it as a dental building and it had other uses before that. Some of the small rooms were removed to create a commons room with carpeting. The museum kept some of the small rooms along one side to be used for displays, library and office.
This view of the building is as seen from 4th Street downtown, located at 350 South Eliot Avenue.
 

This museum sign was donated by North Metro Signs of Harris, MN. It is located on the south side of the building facing 4th Street downtown.

The museum was fortunate in receiving a wonderful watercolor painted by the Minnesota artist, Rev. Ernst Dahle of Minneapolis, usually by many "The Painting Parson". His paintings have exhibited in the Walker Arts Center, Institute of Arts, Lutheran Brotherhood Institute, Sons of Norway Cultural Center and American Swedish Institute. This 1955 painted scene is along Old Hwy 61 in Rush City.
Painting donated by Pastor Fred Thoni, St. Anthony Village, MN.

This military room in the museum is the longest running exhibit. We do not plan to replace in the near term. We have had several people come into the museum and donate their family's uniform or other military related items. All service branches are represented.

An old bedroom was created during the summer of 2015. How would you like to sleep on a wire mesh mattress? Items included represent late 1800s to very early 1900s.

Several pieces of art are now hanging in the common room of the museum. One member donated several framed art pieces painted by a famous local artist, Effie Sheldon Bornhoft (1895-1965) and all are available for viewing.
The society has many more unframed Effie paintings to exhibit in the future.  Effie painted an estimated 8000 paintings in her lifetime, most of them watercolors. In addition to those given to institutions like the University of Minnesota and museums, many others are in private collections. The NCHS has received many of her paintings.

 

The museum opened on May 9, 2015, with a display of three wedding dresses of various periods. This dress was worn by Rebecca Knowles when she married Archibald Peers in 1894. This dress was donated by Maile Fahrion of North Branch, MN.

 

The museum was decorated for Christmas and the decorations were up from December 5 through Christmas Day. All decorations were loaned or donated to the museum. This is a live tree in the old traditional tree structure with older lighting and tinsel. The museum also had a green decorated artificial tree, aluminum trees, Santa bears, a display of rag dolls, a rocking Mrs. Santa and a snoring Santa in bed. Cookies and cider were served.